PSI Brand has incorporated RFID technology into their INMOULD Original graphic system, replacing traditional labelling and spin-welding methods with QR codes for rotomoulding materials. This cost-effective and permanent tracking method for plastics through the use of serial numbers for rotomoulded products is known as PSID™.
What is RFID?
Radio frequency identification (RFID), a means of identifying objects via a wireless communications protocol using radio waves has become more commonplace in recent years. In fact, it is so common that you’re probably already using it in your day to day activities without even realising. Typical everyday examples of RFID technology include:
- Making wireless payments using your credit or debit card
- Using a keyless entry card in your workplace
- Paying highway tolls via a communications device mounted in your car
- The triggering of an uninvited theft-prevention alarm triggered when a shop assistant forgets to remove or disarm the hidden security tag.
Benefits of PSID™ to the plastic industry
PSID™ has the capability to both greatly enhance and protect the lives of consumers of plastic products and revolutionise the way companies do business. Acting essentially as in-mould barcodes for plastic, the benefits of PSID™ include:
- The ability to identify the source of products, enabling intelligent recall of defective or dangerous items, such as tainted foods, defective toys, or compromised medication
- Easy monitoring of items with expiration dates
- Greater visibility into the supply chain, which means a more efficient distribution channel and a reduced cost of doing business
- Less business revenue lost to theft or inaccurate accounting of goods
- Increased civilian security through better cargo monitoring at ports
Why is PSID™ better than a barcode?
PSID™ has numerous advantages over traditional barcodes or serial numbers, these include:
- No need for line-of-sight reading
- Greater depth of serialisation
- Many tags may be read simultaneously
- Features 512 bits of user memory, with the ability to update and protect information such as the product’s date of manufacture and service history
- Product authentication capabilities through the use of unique serial numbers
- Can be permanently moulded into plastic parts with your chosen design
How to track and trace rotomoulded parts using PSID™
The PSID™ system can be integrated into PSI Brand’s INMOULD Original graphic solutions. INMOULD graphics are simply applied onto the interior surface of the mould, and become permanently embedded into the surface of your product during the moulding cycle.